Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Are casualties from WWII are still increasing?

On October 24, 2010 an unexploded bomb was found in the city of Rennes, France. This bomb was found to be a WWII era bomb that had been dropped from an allied aircraft during the invasion of France. After it had been found the French government ordered an evacuation of the city. After WWI the French government set up the Departement du Deminage (Department of Mine Clearance) to clear the unexploded munitions left over from the battles such as the Somme and Verdun. Today the departement continues to find unexploded munitions from both world wars.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty nuts. I can only imagine what it would be like if you were a construction worker digging up acres of land in preparation for new building. I think it would always be in the back of my mind that I could uncover some unexploded shell from WWI or WWII. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete